HOW’S YOUR HEALTH?
Whatever age we are, it’s important to try to take care of our own health and wellbeing as far as we can, doing things that will help us stay fit and healthy and prevent ill health as we get older.
With age, we have a higher risk of developing something dangerous like high blood pressure, heart disease or diabetes. Taking a free NHS Health Check can help to spot early signs and help prevent these happening to you, which means you’ll be more likely to enjoy life for a longer time.
The free NHS Health Check is your chance to get your free mid-life MOT! For adults in England aged 40-74 without a pre-existing health condition, it checks your circulatory and vascular health and what your risk of getting a disabling vascular disease would be.
What happens at a free NHS Health Check?
The purpose of the health check is to assess your risk of developing heart disease, high blood pressure, type-2 Diabetes, kidney disease, stroke and certain types of dementia. The test takes around 20-30 minutes and during the check they will:
- Ask you some simple questions, for example about your family history and any medication you are currently taking
- Record your height, weight, age, sex and ethnicity
- Take your blood pressure
- Do a simple blood test to check your cholesterol and sugar levels – in most cases results are available in just 5 minutes
- Calculate your risk of developing cardiovascular disease
- Give you some personalised lifestyle advice to help reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Send your results to your GP if you are seen by the Outreach Team or a Pharmacist
If you are aged between 40-74, with no pre-existing health conditions, book your free health check by going online to www.somersethealthchecks.co.uk or email email@example.com or you can call for more information on 01823 261 794 (Mon to Fri 9:00-5:00).
For more information about Wellbeing in South Somerset visit www.wellbeingsouthsomerset.org/